Friday, August 17, 2012

Portrait of a Sphere


I was looking at a picture of a man who seemed to have circular face. I started wondering what his face would look like if his head were a perfect sphere. I could not stop my wondering, and made up my mind to pull out my compass, draw a perfect circle, and fill in the man's face. The above picture is the result.

I am actually baffled by the optical illusion of the head not being a perfect circle, but rather a horizontal ellipse. I was so much baffled that I double-checked; nope, it is indeed a perfect circle.

I think the confusing part may be that we are not used to seeing so much cheek and skin to the sides of the eyes. This would make sense as to why our mind would interpret the head being wider than it is tall. This is just my theory, though.

...

I am still recovering a bit from tabling at Wizard World last weekend. I hope to have a follow-up post here within a couple days. For the time being, though, I will say it was more than inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. Good theory. I think you are quite right. What a fascinating exercise--and very well done, at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elizabeth! I am starting to wonder if it might be a fun series to try all different geometric shapes and see what the bizarre outcomes are.

    ReplyDelete