Saturday, March 3, 2012

2012 Rockford Midwestern Exhibition


While I typically only post my illustration work here on this blog, I received some exciting news in the mail today. One of my paintings (the one above) was accepted into the 2012 Rockford Midwestern Exhibition. This is especially satisfying, because I entered this show several years ago, and was not accepted.

I have a good friend to thank for recommending I enter this show, as well as for his critique and advice on this very painting. Without his prompting, I would not have entered. Without his honesty, this painting would not have been accepted.

I have not been doing much painting recently, but about a month and a half ago I took a break from my pen & ink illustrations and did several paintings within a week and a half. This portrait was one such work.

This painting was done in acrylic, which is odd for me. However, I was actually rather pleased with how it worked with this thick impasto technique. When I have done similar paintings in oil, it takes forever to dry, making alterations/reworking difficult.

I have to say that it was an extremely liberating experience to be loose with the paint. I am realizing that every once and a while, my mind needs a break from the minute pen & ink cross-hatching I usually am working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment