Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Illustration Friday: Fluid

I recently found out about a great illustration website called "Illustration Friday." Every Friday they choose a different topic and then invite anyone to submit an illustration depicting that topic.

It is really great to take a look at how different artists tackle a single assignment. Furthermore, it gives artists a "deadline" to reach toward every week, even if they do not have any other illustration clients currently lined up.

This week's topic was: fluid.

Since there are no requirements whatsoever, nor any clients to please, I thought I would just let myself go and see what happened. As opposed to how I typically work, for this illustration I did not look at any reference material whatsoever. I wanted to see what I would come up without any concrete influences. I was so engrossed, that several hours passed before I knew it. I essentially did this drawing in one push, with only a couple minimal breaks.

I hope very much to participate in Illustration Friday as often as possible. Watch this space...

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to IF! My, that's creepy! I do like the jars and tubes. I do not like to look into that face for too long, however. Love all the great pen work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the welcome, Cindy! I am extremely excited to now be a part of the Illustration Friday community.

    Yeah...the drawing actually creeps me out a bit as well.

    Your blog is quite exciting to look at. It is great to be able to see all of your work in several stages of progress. I am always intrigued by how artists build up a project.

    It is good to know another illustrator in the Chicagoland area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your work! I agree with your all of your profile 'likes' except sleep... I like sleep.

      Congrats on the New Yorker contest, and welcome to IF.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Heidi, for the warm welcome!

    I just checked out your site and greatly enjoyed seeing your work as well. It all as a beautifully dark and awkward (in a good way) feeling to it that I really admire.

    I look forward to seeing your future IF posts.

    ReplyDelete