Friday, January 20, 2012

"Snow began to fall and soon covered the cat."

With tonight's weather, I thought it would be appropriate to share this illustration from "The Progressive Problem."

I ended up having to struggle with the snow on this one. I penciled in the entire illustration and started inking, leaving white spaces for the snow. I quickly realized that this was not going to work. I wanted the snow to dominate the foreground, without interrupting the flow of the background. By trying to stop the strokes of my small cross-hatched lines around the little bits of snow, I was making a mess. It looked horrible. The snow was anything but natural.

I realized I needed to do something else and instead inked the entire drawing without any snow. After the ink dried sufficiently, I got a small brush and used white acrylic paint over the top. I was a bit surprised with how effectively this worked. I felt a bit silly for avoiding this approach in the first place.

If you would like to find out more about the book itself, or to read a free pdf, click here.

Stay warm out there tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment