Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Failed Drawing #4



It has been quite a while since I have posted a failed drawing. To recap, these are drawings where I am trying to copy a master artist/illustrator in an effort to learn something. Since there is no possible way for me to make an equal drawing to these masters, I dub them as failures from the start. This is an exercise in honesty and education.

For this drawing, I decided to try and copy a figure study by an Italian mannerist: Baccio Bandinelli (1493-1560). I think it is quite obvious, but my drawing is on top, followed by Bandinelli's.

To begin with, my drawing looks quite harsh, just by the fact of my paper being bright white, instead of the rich aged cream of Bandinelli's. Aside from this, though, I quickly discovered that I was incapable of producing the rich line variation in his cross-hatching. Perhaps I could come closer if I used the appropriate nib, but even still, I would in no way be able to match the subtle grace and near perfect rhythm present in Bandinelli's cross-hatching.

When you zoom in on Bandinelli's drawing, the way in which he defines rounded human flesh is a marvel. It is easy to think that it would be impossible to achieve such depth with a pen, but then Bandinelli deftly disproves.

No comments:

Post a Comment